five things to consider before donating your hair

Here'southward what you need to prep for donating your hair »

I've always had long pilus. Besides a traumatic incident the summer earlier seventh form when I brought in a photo of medium-length hair to the salon, and concluded up with an unflattering above-the-shoulder cutting just in time for the first day of schoolhouse, I've long considered Rapunzel-like strands to exist my thing. Final year though, I started noticing a short hair trend that I could fully get behind: lobs. Behold, a cutting equally classic and chic as a bob, but still trendy. Celebrities like Jessica Alba, Taylor Swift and Emma Stone have all adopted this cool, depression maintenance style that looks skillful with waves, curls or directly pilus. Even bed head seems to look street style-ready with the lob.

But I thought, if I'm going to potentially risk reliving my pre-teen trauma, I should employ my long-loved locks for a proficient cause. My sis was as well preparing to donate her waist-length pilus, so she inspired me to wait half dozen months, grow my pilus out even longer and suit emotionally to such a large change.

Thinking of going for the lob or some other equally awesome short hairstyle in the name of a adept cause? Kudos to you! Here are the five things to consider earlier donating your pilus.

1. Do your research
Look into the clemency of your selection and review the submission requirements.  Make sure you sympathize what the organization will use the pilus for and that it'due south for a cause close to your heart. I decided to donate to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program because they are straight affiliated with the Canadian Cancer Society and my hair met all of the eligibility requirements (at least viii inches, free of bleach, permanent dyes and chemical treatments and no more than than 5% gray). Other options include Locks of Love, which provides hair pieces for children, or Look Good Experience Ameliorate, through which you can host your own hair-cutting donation party.

2. Determine on the length and style
Call back about how much you're willing to chop off and grow your hair until you lot have enough to donate—typically at least eight inches. Measure from your longest layer, straightening out whatsoever waves or curls, and see where you land. If the ruler goes farther than you're willing to go, give your pilus some time to abound until you lot're comfortable.

You should also consider your hair texture and talk over with your stylist before settling on a cut. My stylist agreed that with thick hair like mine, the lob with longer strands in the front, is best to avoid a triangle mass of frizz when worn au naturel. If y'all have thinner pilus, she says, you tin can opt for a more than severe, blunt cut, like that of some other curt pilus catechumen, Karlie Kloss.

3. Maintain, maintain, maintain
Take care of your pilus as best you can earlier making the large chop and then that the organization can utilize equally much as possible. If your hair is slightly damaged, use a repairing shampoo and conditioner, such as Schwarzkopf BC Hairtherapy Repair Rescue, every time yous wash and a deep-conditioning treatment every few days or weeks, depending on how dry your pilus is. Avoid oestrus styling, permanent colouring and chemical treatments, since some charities won't accept pilus that has been subjected to harsh processes. Lastly, although you lot may exist getting 1 of the biggest haircuts of your life, it doesn't mean you tin postpone a haircut all together. Go for regular trims every four to viii weeks to ensure the hair stays healthy and beautiful for its new home.

iv. Make the appointment
Most organizations don't crave a predetermined location for your cut, but allow you to pick your own. So choose a salon and stylist who you're comfortable with. I told my stylist my plan to donate and the style I wanted months before and she checked in with me every and then often to come across if I was ready. Finally, subsequently months of deliberation and fighting with my also-long strands, I booked the appointment, fully armed with a Pinterest board of inspiration and, I'd like to think, a flake of backbone.

5. Plan for your new look
Emotionally gear up for the fact that you'll no longer be able to create some of the styles that y'all've become accustomed to with long hair (i.e. the halo braid and long beach waves). But with a new cut comes an exciting opportunity to effort new looks. Play around online to run into what kind of styles you'll exist going for and build an arsenal of tools and products to help you achieve that expect. I made sure to buy styling cream, like OSIS+ Scroll Me Soft, for wavy days, a heat protectant, similar Marc Anthony Bye Bye Frizz Blow Dry out Cream, for straight days, and dry out shampoo, similar Aveeno Pure Renewal Dry Shampoo, for second-day strands. Information technology may take a while to get used to, merely experiment with your new look, think it's for a proficient cause and don't forget that you can always abound it back.